September 2020 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Tagsantioxidants Aromatherapy Massage Arthritis Ashiatsu Barefoot Blood Circulation blood pressure body coffee deep massage dementia depression Female Fitness Flat Stomach ginger health heart rates Himalayan salt Hot Stone Massage immune system Jogging Maria’s Professional Massage Massage Massage Benefits Massages massage technique massage therapy Mental Health Metabolic Waste Mood muscles professional massage reduces pain rejuvenation. relaxation Rheumatology shortened muscles sleep Sleep Quality stress Swedish massage Therapy Therapeutic Massage Trigger Point Massage UIC weight loss
Tag Archives: Maria’s Professional Massage
With the influx of health and wellness information that is at our fingertips these days, it is easy to get overwhelmed with what is healthy and what is unhealthy. However, one thing many people can agree on is that too much-processed sugar can have negative effects on your health.
Sugar is a simple carbohydrate and is naturally occurring in many foods such as fruits, but it can also be unnecessarily added to products to make them sweeter, such as sodas and cookies. While naturally occurring sugars such as in fruits are good for you, as these foods come with numerous nutrients, the processed, Health Risks of Added Sugar can lead to health risks. These include diabetes, weight gain, or tooth cavities, among other things.
Added sugars give you no nutritional value like naturally occurring sugars do. Sugars also add empty calories, which will increase the number of calories overall in the food.
Added sugars, since they have no nutritional value, are digested quickly and are not a viable energy source, either. In contrast, naturally occurring sugars are digested slower by the body, therefore giving them more energy. In addition, foods with naturally occurring sugars usually contain additional vitamins and minerals that the body needs that aid in healthy living.
The average American consumes nearly three times the recommended amount of calories from added sugars a day. Food with empty calories can also counteract the healthful food eaten throughout the day and can eventually lead to nutrient deficiencies.
As mentioned, added sugars add unnecessary calories that do not give the body lasting energy. The lack of energy will lead to the consumption of more nutrient-dense food. Therefore, a person will consume more calories when they consume empty calories. Over time, this calorie surplus can lead to weight gain.
There is also evidence that a high-sugar and high-fat diet can also lead to leptin resistance, which is used to regulate hunger. In addition, reducing the intake of added sugars may be able to reverse leptin resistance.
Although obesity is not directly related to the consumption of added sugars, it may play a role in weight gain.
Although sugar alone is not the cause of diabetes, consuming high-sugar foods can lead to a high-calorie diet, which may increase the risk for type 2 diabetes.
In particular, people who drink sugary drinks, such as sodas, can be at a particularly higher risk for developing diabetes than others. It is important to limit your consumption of sugary drinks to ensure healthy living.
Cavities are caused by tooth decay, which can be caused by sugar. After eating sugar, a layer of plaque may form over the teeth, caused by bacteria. This bacteria can interact with sugars found in food and drinks, which, when combined, create an acid that damages teeth.
While your body can repair some of this damage itself, eventually this can cause lasting damage, including cavities, or permanent holes in the teeth.
Practicing good oral hygiene and limiting your sugar intake can be effective in preventing this.
Finally, sugary diets may increase your risk of heart disease. Studies show that people that consume a high amount of added sugars are more likely to die from heart disease than those who consume less.
Like diabetes, sugary drinks may be particularly responsible for this. This may be due to the fact that sugary drinks are high in calories and sugars and do not affect hunger as foods do.
While many natural sugars are unavoidable and beneficial to your health, added sugars can be harmful in consumed in large quantities. Risks of an excessively sugary diet can include diseases, tooth decay, and weight gain.
While avoiding added and processed sugars will aid in a healthy lifestyle, it is important to take care of yourself in other ways as well. Taking care of your mind and body is important for healthy living. Practicing self-care, such as massages with Maria’s Professional Massage, can also ensure that you are living your best and healthiest life.
Picture Credit: Pixabay
If you are prepared to make a few changes to your lifestyle it can help you live a lot longer. There was a recent study conducted that pointed out four bad habits detrimental to a healthy lifestyle. These included drinking too much alcohol, smoking, lack of exercise, and not eating nutritious food. This can hustle you into your grave early and can age you by as many as 12 years. Luckily it is possible to correct the behavior. Adopt these habits into your life to maintain your body looking great and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
1. Never overeat: If your target in life is to live 100 years, it is a good idea to leave some food on the plate. People who have studied longevity around the world found out that Japanese people break eating when they are around 80% full. This fact was confirmed later in research in the U.S. Eating less means you are going to age slower. Limited calories lower the production of T3 that is a thyroid hormone responsible for slowing the metabolism and speeding up the aging process.
2. Stay busy: If you have satisfying sex twice or thrice a week it can add as many years to your life. If you stay busy you can burn an impressive number of calories. This can be equivalent to running for 30 minutes so, what would you rather do? Regular sex assists a healthy lifestyle as it can lower the blood pressure, boost your immunity, improve sleep, and protect your heart.
3. Reach out and have a network of friends and relatives: Research has clearly mentioned that you are at a greater risk of suffering from heart diseases if you do not have a strong network of family and friends. Loneliness is responsible for causing inflammation and it can be dangerous for otherwise healthy people pretty much similar to having higher cholesterol or similar to smoking. Loneliness is especially a bigger risk to the healthy lifestyle of elderly people that are prone to depression.
4. Consume alcohol moderately: Men consuming three or more drinks in a day and women consuming two or more will run into the negative effects which can be relationship issues to weight gain. If consumed in smaller quantities alcohol is not harmful. A study conducted in 2010 linked light drinking to heart benefits. By light drinking, two drinks per day for men and one for women is envisaged.
5. Daily exercise: Focusing on fitness is the closest thing you can do for the fountain of youth. In a study, it was mentioned that regular high-intensity exercise like running will add four years to your life. This is apart from the many positive effects working out has on your mind, heart, and metabolism. Even moderate exercise such as 30 minutes’ walk can lead to a healthy lifestyle and lower the risk of heart issues.
If you are ready to take a proactive stand against the unhealthy lifestyle and are willing to switch to a healthy lifestyle you can also think about getting a professional massage from time to time.
Picture Credit: Pexels
With the advent of coronavirus, Americans are being told not to board long-distance flights and also to work from home as much as possible, the objective of this articles is to decide the best practices for massage therapists to counter this threat. The coronavirus causes severe respiratory syndrome and has cold-like symptoms. For avoiding the spread of coronavirus you need to adhere to strict and frequent hand-washing and sanitization.
Communication with the Clients
Amid rising concern regarding the coronavirus, the massage therapists must be communicating frequently and effectively with the clients and make them feel more at ease inside the treatment area. You should also provide them the facts to allow them to make informed decisions. You can also post social media or email updates and begin a dialogue with them today.
Safety Measures in the Treatment Area
Some of the top massage therapists are suggesting to the other massage therapists that they place a notice in the treatment room telling your clients about the precautions you are taking to keep them safe. They can hang a poster on the wall describing the steps to ensure the health of the clients while they are in the area. Tell them about,
- How your laundry is handled.
- How many times you sanitize the credit card machines and pens.
- How often you sanitize the table and other equipment during and between your sessions.
- How often you clean the chairs and doorknobs.
- How you practice your hygiene and perform hand-washing.
- Availability of alcohol-based sanitizer in the treatment area.
You should initiate a direct conversation with scheduled clients for deciding whether they or anyone else in their circle is displaying symptoms of coronavirus. You can reschedule them for free which is a significant step for keeping your practices healthy.
Safety Procedures for a Massage Parlor
1. The first and foremost protection against the spreading of this virus is hand washing. The massage therapists wash their hands more often than most people. But they will be better served to do it even more. This will limit all cooties such as coronavirus, flu, etc.
2. The coronavirus is not spread through airborne particles in general. Rather it is likely to get transmitted via contact with contaminated surfaces and then with your nose, mouth, and eyes. The basic idea here is to improve the dedication to health and hygiene by frequently cleaning the massage equipment and table among other sections in the treatment area.
3. The virus doesn’t seem to affect healthy youngsters. It is a different story for people suffering from chronic health issues though. If there is anyone in the client’s circle who is sick the therapist should reschedule the appointment and not charge for it.
4. The massage therapist must take good care of his/her health. They must realize that it is not the time to push their limits. A good night’s sleep is necessary and eating healthy food is important.
Ultimately the health and well-being of everyone concerned are important. Following the safety procedures for keeping away the virus during the massage, sessions are observed by Maria’s Professional Massage. Here is an experienced and professional therapist who will ensure your good health apart from providing a massage.
Picture Credit: Pexels
Over 37 million Americans routinely suffer from headaches. There are many reasons for this (e.g. genes, environment, lifestyle) but the one thing they all have in common is they want relief. Research suggests that massage is one of the best forms of relief available here.
Common Types of Headaches
When your head hurts you may think that everyone else’s head hurts in the same exact way that yours does. However, this isn’t the case. There are several different types of pain that a person can suffer from here, including:
- Cluster are more common in men. Typically, these occur at night and start with little to no warning. Once they begin, they’ll last for anywhere from 6 – 12 weeks. Sometimes they’re seasonal. Symptoms include a painful, red, or droopy eye, facial swelling, sweating. The headache itself will only last 15 minutes – 3 hours.
- Sinuses in your forehead, cheekbones, and nose can swell up due to allergies causing pressure to mount and sinus difficulties to form.
- Tension is a very common cause of head problems. The pain is typically mild and occurs on both sides of your head. They can easily be treated by taking over-the-counter medication.
- Vascular head issues cause a pounding feeling in your head. These will last three or four hours at a time.
- Classic migraines cause blurred vision, auras, and auditory hallucinations. These will make you feel weak and numb. They’re typically caused by stress, food, medication, and not enough sleep.
- Aura-less migraines generally cause throbbing pain on one side of your head and light sensitivity. They can last for several hours to several days.
Common Treatment Modalities
Once you’ve discovered what type of headache you’re most likely suffering from, it’s time to decide on which treatment modality will work best for you. The ones that have shown the most promise include:
- Deep tissue is a technique whereby firm pressure and slow strokes are used to reach deep muscle layers and help them relax. Your therapist will make deep, gliding movements using either their knuckles or their thumbs. Since it’s applied to your head it’ll help with any pain in this part of your body. Studies have shown that this will alleviate suboccipital muscle spasms, which lie at the root of your head pain.
- Trigger point technique is like the deep tissue technique in that your strained muscles are relaxed when you apply direct pressure to the muscles that are in the area where a patient’s primary pain is found (e.g. around a patient’s eyes, at their temples).
- Neuromuscular technique specifically pinpoints and releases trigger points (a.k.a. stiff muscles). This can help a therapist get directly to the source. However, it’s vital that the right amount of pressure be used and to only work on one side of a patient’s head at a time so that each muscle receives proper treatment.
When you’re ready to take a proactive stance against your headaches by getting a massage, make sure you contact Maria’s Professional Massage. Maria is an experienced therapist with numerous years of training and experience. You can’t go wrong with her so give her a call today
Picture Credit: Pixabay
DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is significantly decreased if you’re able to receive a massage after engaging in strenuous exercise. You’ll also notice that your creatinine level will drop, and your muscles will be enabled to perform better. These are all things that have been proven by a recent research study entitled “Massage Alleviates Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness After Strenuous Exercise: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” In this study 11 previously published research studies on this topic were reviewed. In doing so, over 500 participants were included within this research.
Getting a Massage After a Workout vs. Your Usual Care
Each of the studies that was included within this meta-analysis consisted of a randomized controlled trial. In each of these trials the comparison between receiving this treatment modality and receiving no care or any type of intervention after exercising was looked at. Some of the other things that were considered here include outcome measures. For this it was important that participants reported a primary feeling of muscle soreness or pain. Secondarily, it was also important that muscle performance and serum creatine kinase be measurable.
Techniques used for the post-exercise massage were 8 types that are used in Sweden as well as the technique that’s traditionally used in China. In each study the body area or muscle region that the technique was used upon varied. This is also true of the duration: The area being focused on let researchers to determine whether the technique was used for anywhere between 6 – 30 minutes at a time.
Timing and frequency also varied depending upon which study you look at. For instance, directly follow eccentric exercise participants in one study received 10 minutes of treatment. This was repeated again 24 hours later. However, in another study the 17 minutes of treatment wasn’t repeated until 48 hours later.
Regardless as to which study was consulted, participants who received treatment reported that they felt like their muscles were significantly less sore afterwards. This was especially true when compared to those who received no intervention whatsoever. The amount of improvement regarding how sore a person’s muscles feel also increased when treatment occurred 48 – 72 hours after an intense workout instead of 24 hours afterwards. In fact, this study discovered that the largest drop in people with sore muscles occurred when treatment was received 48 hours after the participant worked out. These participants also demonstrated a marked decrease in creatine kinase, especially when compared to those who didn’t receive any treatment. The one similarity that occurred between all groups regardless of when they received treatment was that both their maximal isometric force and their peak torque improved.
When you’re searching for an effective way in which to alleviate DOMS, you should consider this type of an intervention. After all, this report demonstrates that treatment won’t only help alleviate muscle soreness but it’ll also help your muscles perform better the next time you exercise.
Now that you know how to properly care for your muscle soreness, make sure you contact Maria’s Professional Massage and make an appointment for after your next workout session.
Picture Credit: Pixabay
You’d probably do anything to help your sore muscles feel better. What you may not realize though is that there are some tools available that will help you get some relief. While a massage is great, these tools can help release any knots you have in your muscles.
Shopping for the Right Tools
When you go online to shop for these tools it’s easy to fall down a rabbit hole since there are a lot of gadgets that don’t only look weird but are also available in a wide array of shapes and sizes. While you can find a lot of high-tech tools here (e.g. solar-powered, heated, diffusing social oils) the low-tech ones are surprisingly effective including things like:
- Foam rollers are a simple tube-shaped cylinder that’s made from dense foam. It helps relieve back pain, but you must choose the right foam density first. If you’re in great shape, a very hard roller may be just what you need. However, there are also softer rollers that have a little more give to them. Once you’ve made your choice you should place your roller under your trigger points then lie down on it so that your body weight can press the roller into these tight spots on your back. Try not to wiggle around to much. Instead, when the roller is properly placed, stay put so that the steady pressure that’s being placed on your back eases up. If this doesn’t work, you may want to move the roller slightly above or below your trigger point. A little discomfort is normal regardless of the roller’s placement, but when you’re done your muscles will feel more relaxed.
- Rubber lacrosse balls are better than a foam roller for any neck or shoulder discomfort you may be suffering from since you don’t need to be a contortionist to use them properly. Nevertheless, these lacrosse balls work in much the same way that a foam roller works on your back. You should try to reach the knots in your neck and shoulders while you’re lying on the floor, but if this doesn’t work you should try to stand by a wall then lean back against your lacrosse balls. You may need to be a bit creative here.
When to use Massage Tools
Once you’ve chosen a tool you should use it consistently – 5 or 6 times daily for 3 – 5 minutes each time. This will provide you with the best results. However, you should never use these tools right before you work out. Since they provide you with a trigger point massage, they relax your muscles so if you exercise immediately after using them you’ve raised your risk of injury. Instead, try using them before going to sleep at night. All it takes is 10 minutes and you may even sleep better because of it.
When you’ve tried these tools and found that they’re not working for you, it’s time to schedule an appointment with Maria’s Professional Massage. Maria will have you feeling better soon so contact her today.
Picture Credit: Pexels
Have you ever thought about how beneficial a massage for runners is? Sure it not only feels good, but there are so many amazing benefits to having a massage. In this article, we will discuss the top benefits of getting a massage.
Massages for runners can be scheduled at different intervals. Some individuals may only need a massage once a month, while others will find it beneficial to have a massage once a week. These plans are completely individualized to each person in order to get the most out of a massage. In order to find what works best for you, you will need to not only determine what your goals are for running but also what your budget is.
You should also decide when the best time to schedule a massage is in order to get the most out of it. Look at your running calendar. Are there any races or long runs scheduled? If so, plan your massage around them. It could be in your favor to schedule your massages for two or three days after a long run or race. Do not schedule your appointment a day or two before the race or long run as the massage could leave you sore. Likewise, do not schedule your massage a day after either as your body needs time to recover first.
Now that we have talked about how and when to schedule a massage for runners, let us look at the actual benefits. If you are not very flexible, a massage for runners is great. A massage therapist can easily help get the body to be more flexible. Many people may have trouble with their flexibility as they age. Or if they are just starting to run or beginning an exercise program, they may not be that flexible. But scheduling a massage on a regular basis can really help.
Another benefit of massage for runners is that it promotes better circulation. This means your entire body will be much healthier. Your organs will be allowed more oxygen and cells will be permitted to grow. As an added benefit, the skin will look healthier.
A massage for runners can also reduce muscle fatigue and soreness. This will allow a person to be ready for their next run. Recovery is an essential part of any workout, as if the body can not recover fully, there will not be any gain. Massage could possibly reduce inflammation, reduce stress levels, and improve the immune system.
Did you know that massage for runners can also improve the pulmonary function. It does this by loosening tight respiratory muscles. And these massages can encourage fast removal of metabolic waste products as well.
Massages for runners should be scheduled several times before a big race. Only having one massage administered is not going to help very much. But having a series of massages will allow the body to reap all of the benefits. Any massage you receive should be done by a licensed and trained massage therapist, such as Maria’s Professional Massage.
Picture Credit: Henry Geddes
More and more people are turning to various exercises as a way to get healthy. Many attend weekly yoga classes, others swim daily, and some find a combination of running and walking do the trick. However the more a person exercises, the more likely they are to develop an injury.
But the good news is there are ways to relieve pain when one does get injured. One of the key elements in feeling better is to have a sports massage done. The best kind of sport massage will include the use of topical pain relief products. These products can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain.
Those that use sport massage can find great relief when incorporating topical pain products into their healing schedule. A therapist could use a topical spray to the affected area. It can then be wrapped or kinesiology tape can be placed over it. The therapist may also recommend a therapeutic balm to nourish the skin overnight. This balm can also increase the circulation to the painful area, which will help to lessen the aches. The skin will also be soothed when it is rubbed in.
Sports massages work great with topical pain relief for many reasons. They contain a variety of ingredients (ginger, ho wood, and turmeric) that help to prevent muscle aches and stiffness. These ingredients also warm the aching muscles so they can relax and assist in increasing circulation to the area that is injured.
Other ingredients that work well with sports massages include witch hazel for diminishing pain and fatigue and arnica to help with pain and inflammation. Pain can also be managed with magnesium sulfate.
Chili pepper extract, known as Capsaicin, is a very effective ingredient for pain. This hot topical pain relief works well to soothe the area, causing an analgesic effect. Many receiving sports massages have excellent results with this product.
Sports massages can be done in a variety of ways. Fascia work is often done to open up different muscle groups. Lymphatic work can be done if the area is inflamed or swollen.
If you want a massage that allows the use of topical pain relievers, consider using kinetic chain release. In this sports massage, the person is fully clothed. Large areas that are injured, such as the back or shoulders, have a great effect when a sports massage is used in combination with topical pain relief.
If you have been injured while playing a sport or exercising, you know how painful it can be to heal. Sports massages can help one heal faster and bring relief. If you need a sports massage to help your pain, consider contacting Maria’s Professional Massage offers sports massages that utilize several techniques and modalities. Not only will you heal your body, but you will bring a sense of peace and relaxation to yourself, which is essential in today’s busy world!
Picture Credit: Jesper Aggergaard
If you had a long day, sitting relaxed on the couch with your significant other and watching some Netflix sounds very good. But how about enjoying that amazing feeling you get after working out intensely, right after you’re done with your job?
Of course you do, but in order to achieve this, let’s see how we can get you motivated enough!
Set some personal goals
…and we’re not talking just about setting them in your mind, as writing down is one of the best things you can do. Seeing the things you want to achieve jotted down on a piece of paper can have a powerful impact, as it reminds you why you’re going to the gym. And this is the key to staying motivated!
For an extra boost of gym motivation, pin that piece of paper in your office, so you can see it all day long.
Plan your workouts
Putting down your workouts ahead of time will make you less likely to skip them. In order to do this, start your week by deciding which days you will be visiting the gym and plan a routine for each one.
At the end of the workout, look back at your plan and see what you managed to accomplish. This will make you feel amazing and keep the momentum going.
We know, this may sound a bit unusual, but starting up the day with a great breakfast will help you throughout the day, as your body remains energized and ready for a workout when you clock out.
Get equipped before leaving work
By doing this, you’re basically giving yourself a visual reminder that you are committed to working out as soon as you leave office, not to mention that it’s great for holding yourself accountable.
The idea is simple here: after changing into your workout clothes, you will feel way worse about backing out. And there you have it, gym motivation in an instant!
Track your progress
No, we’re not saying that you should post on social media or check-in each time you enter the gym – after all, what normal person still does that? – but keeping record of your training sessions in a dedicated app can actually transform into some real gym motivation.
When you will see better and better results with each day, you won’t be tempted to skip your after work session anymore. After all, you want to beat last week’s personal record, right?
Train with a gym buddy
The simple fact that you’re meeting a friend at the gym – and you don’t want to make him or her wait for you and train alone – will make you less likely to back out. Eventually, you can grab dinner and some drinks together, after the workout. And this sounds even better if you have a cheat day…
On the side, after an intense workout session, you can also opt for a massage! Besides relaxing your muscles and helping you avoid any pain, a massage will also reduce your stress levels and improve your overall health and well-being.
Picture Credit: bruce mars