February 2021 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Tagsantioxidants Aromatherapy Massage Arthritis Ashiatsu Barefoot Blood Circulation blood pressure body coffee deep massage dementia depression Female Fitness Flat Stomach ginger health heart rates Himalayan salt Hot Stone Massage immune system Jogging Maria’s Professional Massage Massage Massage Benefits Massages massage technique massage therapy Mental Health Metabolic Waste Mood muscles professional massage reduces pain rejuvenation. relaxation Rheumatology shortened muscles sleep Sleep Quality stress Swedish massage Therapy Therapeutic Massage Trigger Point Massage UIC weight loss
The lavender essential oil can be termed as one of the more versatile and popular methods used for aromatherapy. The lavender oil is distilled from the plant called Lavandula Angustifolia. This kind of aromatherapy is responsible for promoting relaxations and is believed to be useful in the treatment of fungal infections, anxiety, depression, eczema, insomnia, nausea, allergies, and menstrual cramps. It is multi-purpose oil in terms of essential oil practices. The oil also has antispasmodic, analgesic, and sedative properties similar to massage therapy.
Lavender aromatherapy for the treatment of anxiety
Although there aren’t many clinical trials to support this, there were positive effects of aromatherapy on many people suffering from anxiety. Several studies conducted have indicated that the lavender oil might have anti-anxiety benefits. Some studies were conducted in specific populations as well to test the anxiety-decreasing effects of lavender. There was a study published in 2005 that concentrated on two hundred people waiting for dental treatment. By breathing in the lavender aroma there was an improvement in both mood and anxiety. Another study showed that lavender-based oil therapy was helpful in the relaxation of anxiety for postpartum women.
In another study that involved 28 women who gave birth in the past 18 months, the researchers found that 4 weeks of 2 times a week and 15 minutes long aromatherapy sessions were useful for alleviating depression apart from lowering the anxiety levels. Ingesting lavender oil can also help in relieving anxiety. In the year 2012 scientists analyzed fifteen prior published clinical trials. They concluded that the dietary supplements used for the treatment that contained lavender oil may have some therapeutic effects on various patients struggling with stress and anxiety. Another more recent study in the literature showed the benefits of lavender in the participants suffering from moderate to severe anxiety.
Any side effects?
There is a possibility of the lavender essential oil causing skin irritation or a kind of allergic reaction in case of some people. When you are experiencing nausea, headache, or vomiting after the lavender aromatherapy you need to stop using it immediately. Because consuming lavender essential oil may have toxic effects, the treatment may not be suitable for ingestion inside the body unless it is supervised by a medical professional.
What do you need to look out for?
The essential oils are not under regulation by the FDA and they are not required to meet any specific purity standards. While buying the essential oil you need to look for suppliers that are distilling their material or dealing with reputed distillers directly. They use mass spectrometry and gas chromatography for analyzing the quality of this product. While buying the pure lavender essential oils check out the label to see whether it has the name Lavandula Angustifolia. There should not be any other ingredients listed in the content.
Although the lavender oil treatment can be helpful for soothing anxiety it should not be used as an alternative to the professional mental health treatment for anxiety disorder. You can also get a massage to relieve the anxiety symptoms. If you are living in the Clearwater, FL area you can get in touch with Maria’s Professional Massage for massage therapy.
Picture Credit: Pexels
With the influx of health and wellness information that is at our fingertips these days, it is easy to get overwhelmed with what is healthy and what is unhealthy. However, one thing many people can agree on is that too much-processed sugar can have negative effects on your health.
Sugar is a simple carbohydrate and is naturally occurring in many foods such as fruits, but it can also be unnecessarily added to products to make them sweeter, such as sodas and cookies. While naturally occurring sugars such as in fruits are good for you, as these foods come with numerous nutrients, the processed, Health Risks of Added Sugar can lead to health risks. These include diabetes, weight gain, or tooth cavities, among other things.
Added sugars give you no nutritional value like naturally occurring sugars do. Sugars also add empty calories, which will increase the number of calories overall in the food.
Added sugars, since they have no nutritional value, are digested quickly and are not a viable energy source, either. In contrast, naturally occurring sugars are digested slower by the body, therefore giving them more energy. In addition, foods with naturally occurring sugars usually contain additional vitamins and minerals that the body needs that aid in healthy living.
The average American consumes nearly three times the recommended amount of calories from added sugars a day. Food with empty calories can also counteract the healthful food eaten throughout the day and can eventually lead to nutrient deficiencies.
As mentioned, added sugars add unnecessary calories that do not give the body lasting energy. The lack of energy will lead to the consumption of more nutrient-dense food. Therefore, a person will consume more calories when they consume empty calories. Over time, this calorie surplus can lead to weight gain.
There is also evidence that a high-sugar and high-fat diet can also lead to leptin resistance, which is used to regulate hunger. In addition, reducing the intake of added sugars may be able to reverse leptin resistance.
Although obesity is not directly related to the consumption of added sugars, it may play a role in weight gain.
Although sugar alone is not the cause of diabetes, consuming high-sugar foods can lead to a high-calorie diet, which may increase the risk for type 2 diabetes.
In particular, people who drink sugary drinks, such as sodas, can be at a particularly higher risk for developing diabetes than others. It is important to limit your consumption of sugary drinks to ensure healthy living.
Cavities are caused by tooth decay, which can be caused by sugar. After eating sugar, a layer of plaque may form over the teeth, caused by bacteria. This bacteria can interact with sugars found in food and drinks, which, when combined, create an acid that damages teeth.
While your body can repair some of this damage itself, eventually this can cause lasting damage, including cavities, or permanent holes in the teeth.
Practicing good oral hygiene and limiting your sugar intake can be effective in preventing this.
Finally, sugary diets may increase your risk of heart disease. Studies show that people that consume a high amount of added sugars are more likely to die from heart disease than those who consume less.
Like diabetes, sugary drinks may be particularly responsible for this. This may be due to the fact that sugary drinks are high in calories and sugars and do not affect hunger as foods do.
While many natural sugars are unavoidable and beneficial to your health, added sugars can be harmful in consumed in large quantities. Risks of an excessively sugary diet can include diseases, tooth decay, and weight gain.
While avoiding added and processed sugars will aid in a healthy lifestyle, it is important to take care of yourself in other ways as well. Taking care of your mind and body is important for healthy living. Practicing self-care, such as massages with Maria’s Professional Massage, can also ensure that you are living your best and healthiest life.
Picture Credit: Pixabay
If you are prepared to make a few changes to your lifestyle it can help you live a lot longer. There was a recent study conducted that pointed out four bad habits detrimental to a healthy lifestyle. These included drinking too much alcohol, smoking, lack of exercise, and not eating nutritious food. This can hustle you into your grave early and can age you by as many as 12 years. Luckily it is possible to correct the behavior. Adopt these habits into your life to maintain your body looking great and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
1. Never overeat: If your target in life is to live 100 years, it is a good idea to leave some food on the plate. People who have studied longevity around the world found out that Japanese people break eating when they are around 80% full. This fact was confirmed later in research in the U.S. Eating less means you are going to age slower. Limited calories lower the production of T3 that is a thyroid hormone responsible for slowing the metabolism and speeding up the aging process.
2. Stay busy: If you have satisfying sex twice or thrice a week it can add as many years to your life. If you stay busy you can burn an impressive number of calories. This can be equivalent to running for 30 minutes so, what would you rather do? Regular sex assists a healthy lifestyle as it can lower the blood pressure, boost your immunity, improve sleep, and protect your heart.
3. Reach out and have a network of friends and relatives: Research has clearly mentioned that you are at a greater risk of suffering from heart diseases if you do not have a strong network of family and friends. Loneliness is responsible for causing inflammation and it can be dangerous for otherwise healthy people pretty much similar to having higher cholesterol or similar to smoking. Loneliness is especially a bigger risk to the healthy lifestyle of elderly people that are prone to depression.
4. Consume alcohol moderately: Men consuming three or more drinks in a day and women consuming two or more will run into the negative effects which can be relationship issues to weight gain. If consumed in smaller quantities alcohol is not harmful. A study conducted in 2010 linked light drinking to heart benefits. By light drinking, two drinks per day for men and one for women is envisaged.
5. Daily exercise: Focusing on fitness is the closest thing you can do for the fountain of youth. In a study, it was mentioned that regular high-intensity exercise like running will add four years to your life. This is apart from the many positive effects working out has on your mind, heart, and metabolism. Even moderate exercise such as 30 minutes’ walk can lead to a healthy lifestyle and lower the risk of heart issues.
If you are ready to take a proactive stand against the unhealthy lifestyle and are willing to switch to a healthy lifestyle you can also think about getting a professional massage from time to time.
Picture Credit: Pexels
Over 37 million Americans routinely suffer from headaches. There are many reasons for this (e.g. genes, environment, lifestyle) but the one thing they all have in common is they want relief. Research suggests that massage is one of the best forms of relief available here.
Common Types of Headaches
When your head hurts you may think that everyone else’s head hurts in the same exact way that yours does. However, this isn’t the case. There are several different types of pain that a person can suffer from here, including:
- Cluster are more common in men. Typically, these occur at night and start with little to no warning. Once they begin, they’ll last for anywhere from 6 – 12 weeks. Sometimes they’re seasonal. Symptoms include a painful, red, or droopy eye, facial swelling, sweating. The headache itself will only last 15 minutes – 3 hours.
- Sinuses in your forehead, cheekbones, and nose can swell up due to allergies causing pressure to mount and sinus difficulties to form.
- Tension is a very common cause of head problems. The pain is typically mild and occurs on both sides of your head. They can easily be treated by taking over-the-counter medication.
- Vascular head issues cause a pounding feeling in your head. These will last three or four hours at a time.
- Classic migraines cause blurred vision, auras, and auditory hallucinations. These will make you feel weak and numb. They’re typically caused by stress, food, medication, and not enough sleep.
- Aura-less migraines generally cause throbbing pain on one side of your head and light sensitivity. They can last for several hours to several days.
Common Treatment Modalities
Once you’ve discovered what type of headache you’re most likely suffering from, it’s time to decide on which treatment modality will work best for you. The ones that have shown the most promise include:
- Deep tissue is a technique whereby firm pressure and slow strokes are used to reach deep muscle layers and help them relax. Your therapist will make deep, gliding movements using either their knuckles or their thumbs. Since it’s applied to your head it’ll help with any pain in this part of your body. Studies have shown that this will alleviate suboccipital muscle spasms, which lie at the root of your head pain.
- Trigger point technique is like the deep tissue technique in that your strained muscles are relaxed when you apply direct pressure to the muscles that are in the area where a patient’s primary pain is found (e.g. around a patient’s eyes, at their temples).
- Neuromuscular technique specifically pinpoints and releases trigger points (a.k.a. stiff muscles). This can help a therapist get directly to the source. However, it’s vital that the right amount of pressure be used and to only work on one side of a patient’s head at a time so that each muscle receives proper treatment.
When you’re ready to take a proactive stance against your headaches by getting a massage, make sure you contact Maria’s Professional Massage. Maria is an experienced therapist with numerous years of training and experience. You can’t go wrong with her so give her a call today
Picture Credit: Pixabay
DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is significantly decreased if you’re able to receive a massage after engaging in strenuous exercise. You’ll also notice that your creatinine level will drop, and your muscles will be enabled to perform better. These are all things that have been proven by a recent research study entitled “Massage Alleviates Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness After Strenuous Exercise: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” In this study 11 previously published research studies on this topic were reviewed. In doing so, over 500 participants were included within this research.
Getting a Massage After a Workout vs. Your Usual Care
Each of the studies that was included within this meta-analysis consisted of a randomized controlled trial. In each of these trials the comparison between receiving this treatment modality and receiving no care or any type of intervention after exercising was looked at. Some of the other things that were considered here include outcome measures. For this it was important that participants reported a primary feeling of muscle soreness or pain. Secondarily, it was also important that muscle performance and serum creatine kinase be measurable.
Techniques used for the post-exercise massage were 8 types that are used in Sweden as well as the technique that’s traditionally used in China. In each study the body area or muscle region that the technique was used upon varied. This is also true of the duration: The area being focused on let researchers to determine whether the technique was used for anywhere between 6 – 30 minutes at a time.
Timing and frequency also varied depending upon which study you look at. For instance, directly follow eccentric exercise participants in one study received 10 minutes of treatment. This was repeated again 24 hours later. However, in another study the 17 minutes of treatment wasn’t repeated until 48 hours later.
Regardless as to which study was consulted, participants who received treatment reported that they felt like their muscles were significantly less sore afterwards. This was especially true when compared to those who received no intervention whatsoever. The amount of improvement regarding how sore a person’s muscles feel also increased when treatment occurred 48 – 72 hours after an intense workout instead of 24 hours afterwards. In fact, this study discovered that the largest drop in people with sore muscles occurred when treatment was received 48 hours after the participant worked out. These participants also demonstrated a marked decrease in creatine kinase, especially when compared to those who didn’t receive any treatment. The one similarity that occurred between all groups regardless of when they received treatment was that both their maximal isometric force and their peak torque improved.
When you’re searching for an effective way in which to alleviate DOMS, you should consider this type of an intervention. After all, this report demonstrates that treatment won’t only help alleviate muscle soreness but it’ll also help your muscles perform better the next time you exercise.
Now that you know how to properly care for your muscle soreness, make sure you contact Maria’s Professional Massage and make an appointment for after your next workout session.
Picture Credit: Pixabay
You’d probably do anything to help your sore muscles feel better. What you may not realize though is that there are some tools available that will help you get some relief. While a massage is great, these tools can help release any knots you have in your muscles.
Shopping for the Right Tools
When you go online to shop for these tools it’s easy to fall down a rabbit hole since there are a lot of gadgets that don’t only look weird but are also available in a wide array of shapes and sizes. While you can find a lot of high-tech tools here (e.g. solar-powered, heated, diffusing social oils) the low-tech ones are surprisingly effective including things like:
- Foam rollers are a simple tube-shaped cylinder that’s made from dense foam. It helps relieve back pain, but you must choose the right foam density first. If you’re in great shape, a very hard roller may be just what you need. However, there are also softer rollers that have a little more give to them. Once you’ve made your choice you should place your roller under your trigger points then lie down on it so that your body weight can press the roller into these tight spots on your back. Try not to wiggle around to much. Instead, when the roller is properly placed, stay put so that the steady pressure that’s being placed on your back eases up. If this doesn’t work, you may want to move the roller slightly above or below your trigger point. A little discomfort is normal regardless of the roller’s placement, but when you’re done your muscles will feel more relaxed.
- Rubber lacrosse balls are better than a foam roller for any neck or shoulder discomfort you may be suffering from since you don’t need to be a contortionist to use them properly. Nevertheless, these lacrosse balls work in much the same way that a foam roller works on your back. You should try to reach the knots in your neck and shoulders while you’re lying on the floor, but if this doesn’t work you should try to stand by a wall then lean back against your lacrosse balls. You may need to be a bit creative here.
When to use Massage Tools
Once you’ve chosen a tool you should use it consistently – 5 or 6 times daily for 3 – 5 minutes each time. This will provide you with the best results. However, you should never use these tools right before you work out. Since they provide you with a trigger point massage, they relax your muscles so if you exercise immediately after using them you’ve raised your risk of injury. Instead, try using them before going to sleep at night. All it takes is 10 minutes and you may even sleep better because of it.
When you’ve tried these tools and found that they’re not working for you, it’s time to schedule an appointment with Maria’s Professional Massage. Maria will have you feeling better soon so contact her today.
Picture Credit: Pexels
More and more people are turning to various exercises as a way to get healthy. Many attend weekly yoga classes, others swim daily, and some find a combination of running and walking do the trick. However the more a person exercises, the more likely they are to develop an injury.
But the good news is there are ways to relieve pain when one does get injured. One of the key elements in feeling better is to have a sports massage done. The best kind of sport massage will include the use of topical pain relief products. These products can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain.
Those that use sport massage can find great relief when incorporating topical pain products into their healing schedule. A therapist could use a topical spray to the affected area. It can then be wrapped or kinesiology tape can be placed over it. The therapist may also recommend a therapeutic balm to nourish the skin overnight. This balm can also increase the circulation to the painful area, which will help to lessen the aches. The skin will also be soothed when it is rubbed in.
Sports massages work great with topical pain relief for many reasons. They contain a variety of ingredients (ginger, ho wood, and turmeric) that help to prevent muscle aches and stiffness. These ingredients also warm the aching muscles so they can relax and assist in increasing circulation to the area that is injured.
Other ingredients that work well with sports massages include witch hazel for diminishing pain and fatigue and arnica to help with pain and inflammation. Pain can also be managed with magnesium sulfate.
Chili pepper extract, known as Capsaicin, is a very effective ingredient for pain. This hot topical pain relief works well to soothe the area, causing an analgesic effect. Many receiving sports massages have excellent results with this product.
Sports massages can be done in a variety of ways. Fascia work is often done to open up different muscle groups. Lymphatic work can be done if the area is inflamed or swollen.
If you want a massage that allows the use of topical pain relievers, consider using kinetic chain release. In this sports massage, the person is fully clothed. Large areas that are injured, such as the back or shoulders, have a great effect when a sports massage is used in combination with topical pain relief.
If you have been injured while playing a sport or exercising, you know how painful it can be to heal. Sports massages can help one heal faster and bring relief. If you need a sports massage to help your pain, consider contacting Maria’s Professional Massage offers sports massages that utilize several techniques and modalities. Not only will you heal your body, but you will bring a sense of peace and relaxation to yourself, which is essential in today’s busy world!
Picture Credit: Jesper Aggergaard
Massages are growing in popularity amongst people with a number of ailments or those who just want a better way to relax. A key question surrounding the efficacy of massages is, “Can Massage Relieve Pain?” For millions of people who suffer from chronic pain and for whom pain relievers are ineffective or high risk, options like massage may provide a good alternative to controlling their pain. Massage can help relax people, while reducing stress and relieving pain.
A recent systematic review in Pain Medicine substantiates these claims. By pooling 60 high-quality and seven low-quality studies, the review found that message therapy was superior to placebo in ailing pain. It also had the added benefit of a favorable safety profile which was very low in side effects (particularly in comparison to pharmacotherapy). There seem to be multiple mechanisms via which massages improve biomechanical, physiological, and psychological wellbeing. It truly is a lost art, having originally been described by Hippocrates, the father of medicine.
A question that always persists with massage therapy is how long and how often patients need to get it in order to sustain the pain relieving effect. A study by a group of researchers in Seattle looked at this research question and found that those who got massages for 60 minutes two or three times a week had the best results followed by those who have 30 minute massages of the same frequency which was better than no massages at all. If you try massage therapy and do not witness results, it may be time to consider increasing the frequency as that seems to make a difference. A massage therapist can likely help any individualized questions you may have regarding a regular regimen.
The effectiveness of massages has led even many traditional sites of care to start to adopt them. A survey by the American Hospital association found that 82% of hospitals offered massages to patients depending on what they were in for. The majority of these cases were used in order to help with pain relief.
Given the favorable risk-benefit profile of massage therapy and the comparable profile of prescription medications, it is a wonder that the massage trend did not take off earlier. As the United States faces an opioid addiction epidemic, massages are likely to continue to grow in favor with both patients and providers. Given the damage that drugs can do, it may well become first line therapy in time.
Image credit: 123rf.com